Ember, Linda, and Rey have a discussion about the supreme court history and recent events. There’s also a few other interesting things to learn about how our government works in this episode…and our own opinions shining through.
- The court acting in a partisan matter is a serious problem.
- “Roe” decision upsets stare decisis, why that’s a big deal (Dobbs v Jackson is the case)
- https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/21pdf/19-1392_6j37.pdf (this is the text of recent case that overturned Roe v Wade
- Other decisions threatened (some mentioned in this case, some not) : Obergefell v Hodges (same sex marriage), Loving v VA (interracial marriage), Brown v BoE and Plessy v Ferguson (racial segregation)
- Also, other cited cases in this recent decision mention “states rights”..you know, like we fought a civil war about? Plyler v Doe) free public education for ALL children
Podcast: Play in new window | Download